Skip to main content

Forms and FAQ

Graduate & Financial Forms | Who Do I Contact For…? | Finance Questions | Registration Questions | Degree Progress Questions | Funding and Payroll Questions | Insurance Questions | Lab Emergency Questions

NOTICE: If you plan to hire anyone for services/work, (temporary, independent contractor, etc.) you MUST speak to the Department Manager PRIOR to any services/work being performed. Not following this procedure could result in the individual not being able to be paid for their time.

To fill out forms: Right click the form link then “Save As”. Clicking the links only lets you view them. When emailing, make sure to download the form, fill out the form, then save, and attach.




Human Resources management, Budgets and Funds management (all sources), TIM Administration, and all other business-related requests; Department Parking Coordinator Jennifer Parker
Student Services Representative, Human Resources (Students ONLY), Course Scheduling, Classroom & Conference Room Reservations, Building Access, Service Parking Permits Violet Anderson
Purchasing, Payments, Reimbursements, and Travel (CABS/Flights) Coordination; Meeting and Event Support Quentin Barrett
Website and Email/Listserve and A/V and Videoconferencing, Conference Room Reservations Ryan Neve
Contract and Grant management, Pre- and Post-Award, Proposal Support Kim Campbell
Computer, Printer, Network and Technical Support Baskin Cooper
Facilities Requests, Department Vehicle Assistance, Office Keys Mike Kingery


To provide an added level of security to their vehicle reservation system, Enterprise Rent-a-Car is replacing its current Enterprise affiliate link with Effective immediately, University employees wishing to rent a vehicle should enroll in and make reservations through EHIDirect. Reservations that have already been placed through the previous affiliate link will not be affected.

For security purposes, EHIDirect accounts must be requested via email and will only be issued to staff with a valid UNC email address. Frequent customers of the previous Enterprise reservation system will automatically receive an email invitation to enroll from EHIDirect within 24 hours of this notification. New customers who wish to reserve a vehicle should contact Courtney Gay at during regular business hours to request access to the EHIDirect system. Departments that do a high volume of vehicle rentals can request administrative access to the system that will allow them to add individual users as needed.

Employees making travel arrangements are encouraged to begin the reservation process in advance to allow for account approval and to ensure vehicle availability. Please note, the EHIDirect system is to be used for vehicle rental reservations only; employees who are traveling for University business purposes should not utilize the flight or hotel reservation functions in EHIDirect.

Instructions for activating your new EHIDirect account and placing a vehicle reservation are available on the Facilities Service Vehicle Rental webpage. Users will be asked to provide the following information when making a reservation:

  • UNC PID number
  • Driver’s name
  • Six-digit Department ID number (ENEC = 318500)
  • Departmental reference (grant ID or other account number)

EHIDirect will be hosting several webinars to train employees on using the new site. We encourage all employees to participate in a session to become acquainted with the new reservation system. The schedule of training sessions is available on the Facilities Services Vehicle Rental page. Additional sessions will be added as needed.

For questions or assistance with using EHIDirect, contact the EHI Direct Help Desk at 855-573-0012 or Courtney Gay at

For other Fleet Services questions or concerns, contact Mark Stark, University Fleet Manager, at 919-966-2967 or

Travelers are encouraged to use a State-owned vehicle or vehicle leased through a state contract. When such a vehicle is not available and/or a personal vehicle must be used, the allowable business standard mileage rate is 54.5 cents/mile for trips that do not exceed 100 miles. For business travel trips that utilize personal vehicles and exceed 100 miles per trip, the employee shall be reimbursed at 33 cents a mile. Travel Reimbursement Form
All receipts should be turned in within 30 days of the time traveled to insure reimbursement.
All travel for faculty and staff should route through the Concur Travel System.  Student requests: you can only be reimbursed for travel expenses after the travel has occurred. However, the Administrative Office can provide for the purchase of plane tickets, registrations and potential travel advances if notified well in advance of the travel dates. Please contact the Administrative Staff for more information.
No, travel is not allowed on purchasing cards. Please consult the allowable charges listed with the Pcard form
A signature is required from the PI that has the grant/trust, or the Department Manager for departmental funds. Any unsigned forms will be returned for signature before being processed.
Yes. Each traveler must provide their own receipts for their travel reimbursement expenses. If you share a room, each person should ask the hotel for a statement and receipt in that each traveler’s name. Also, please do not book several rooms under one traveler’s name. The University’s policies, which are associated with federal policies (when funded by grant sources), are that each individual traveler present their own receipts, in their own name, for reimbursement.


A graduate student must register for 9 credit hours to be full time unless they are re-enrolled in ENEC 993 or ENEC 994. These two courses are considered full-time enrollment on their own and students do not need to register for more classes. If a student would like to register for more hours, they are encouraged to check with their advisors and check their funding sources for any possible restrictions on allowed registration hours.
You should only register for the section number associated with your advisor. Do not register for a 993 or 994 section that is labeled ‘staff’ unless specifically instructed.
Please contact the student services manager and they will help get the section that you need created in the system.
Please review the type of hold it is. If the hold is due to past due fees, paying the fees will clear the hold. A pre-pay hold will require your tuition and fees be paid before you are allowed to register. If the department is paying your tuition, pay the fees and contact the student services manager to have them pay the tuition portion. For other holds, please contact the specified office to clear the hold.
Drop/Add forms can be obtained from the student services manager. These will require:

  • the student’s signature
  • initials from the instructor
  • an advisor’s signature
  • the appropriate dean’s signature


For a MS, you will need the MA/MS final exam form and the Program Requirement Certification form to graduate.

For a Ph.D., you will need the PhD final exam form, the Program Requirement Certification form and the Committee composition form. You will also need to have fixed term appointments for any non-UNC faculty members on your committee. This can be done by sending a CV to the student services manager.

All forms mentioned can also be found on the Graduate School website.

Please contact your student services manager with the date, time and amount of seating you will require. Also, include any special needs such as video conferencing equipment.
You may defend up until the day before the first day of classes in the next semester and not need to register for the following semester. For example, if you are registered for the fall semester and want to defend in the fall semester to avoid registering for spring, you can defend up until the first day of classes in the spring semester.
You do not need to be registered in the semester in which you graduate. You do need to be registered in the semester in which you do your final defense. For example, if you defend within the fall semester but miss the Dec graduation deadline, you can apply to graduate with an August graduation date but will not need to register in the spring semester as long as you have defended within the fall semester.
You will need to submit a CV to the student services manager. They will need to create a fixed term appointment for your outside committee member.
UNC’s Environment, Ecology and Energy Program honors graduates with a ceremony held on the Saturday before University Commencement. Time and location will be announced in the spring.
» Reception held following the ceremony.
» Information on parking can be found on the university website.
» Graduating students are strongly encouraged to limit guests to 5 or below. If they will have more, they should contact to confirm there is still seating space available.
» We request responses to paperless post invitation two weeks prior to our ceremony. Graduates who do not RSVP by the deadline will not receive a personalized certificate at the ceremony.
» Graduates will need to check in at the department’s table in the lobby prior to the ceremony to get instructions and confirm their presence.
» Any questions can be directed to


An email will go out across the listserv about one month before the end of each semester reminding you to fill out a funding form:

This should be completed and returned to the student services manager by the deadline indicated in the email. Generally, you should determine your fall funding mid-July, spring funding by early November and summer funding by early April.

Most RA/TA positions do not pay student fees. This means you will be responsible for paying them. There are a few fellowships that will pay your fees and this will be specified in the terms of the fellowship. Generally speaking, grants do not pay fees.
You can pay these online through your My UNC page. You may also pay these at the cashier’s office in the SASB building on campus.
Graduate students are paid on a monthly basis. The fall payroll generally goes from August 17th to Dec 31st, spring generally goes from Jan 1st to May 15th and summer goes from May 16th to August 16th. You can find the specific dates under the quick links on the UNC Finance website.
You are not allowed to work any hours before being hired completely through the payroll system. This includes completing an I9 for payroll. If you have not completed this step, you MUST not work any hours.


You will need to fill out a form for the GSHIP (RA/TA) insurance.

This should be turned into your student services manager. They will enroll you in this insurance program. Enrolling in the mandatory health insurance plan can be done through the Campus Health website. This must be done each year.

You can do this on the Campus Health Website. You will need a current (active) insurance policy number in order to waive out.
You may contact BCBS for specific information on your health insurance policy and getting insurance cards. They can be reached at (919) 967-5900 or
You are covered on your plan from August 1st to July 31st unless you graduate. Graduating students will have their insurance end along with their enrollment. For specific dates, contact your student services manager.


Immediately call 911 then your PI.
Contact your lab manager or PI.


Contact: Jennifer Parker Office: 3202H (Murrary) or 114 (Mitchell) Phone: (919) 966-9256
During working hours you may contact:

Mike Kingery Office: 024 Mitchell Phone: (919) 962–0828

Jennifer Parker Office: 3202H Murrary Hall or 114 Mitchell Hall Phone: (919) 966-9256

Always inform your advisor and department head!

Contact: Jennifer Parker Office: 3202H (Murrary) or 114 (Mitchell)  Phone: (919) 966-9256